The Vancouver Community Network owns, operates and promotes a free, publicly accessible, non-commercial, community computer utility in the Lower Mainland of BC which provides a public space on the Internet.
This position will report to the Technical Services Manager and is responsible for developing VCN’s StreetMessenger (http://www.streetmessagingsystem.ca/), OurBuilding.Info, and Newcomer.Info. You will also be responsible for developing scripts, and supporting Help Desk volunteers. We are looking to hire a student for the summer.
BASIC ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
Participating youth must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year;
- intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
- Developing VCN’s Street Messaging System using Ruby on Rails
- Developing server scripts and web applications.
- Providing training and support to entry level volunteers.
- Providing technical support to staff, volunteers, and clients.
- Knowledge of Ruby on Rails.
- Knowledge of SQL.
- Knowledge of Git.
- Knowledge of Linux.
- Bachelors of Science in Computer Science or equivalent education is an asset.
- Ability to learn and teach.
- Ability to work independently and in a team.
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and spoken English; additional languages are an asset.
VCN welcomes all applicants including persons with disabilities, visible minorities, women and aboriginals.
- visible minority
- person with a disability
HOURS: 30 hours a week
COMPENSATION: $12.65/hr for 240 hours
DURATION: 8 weeks
APPLY FOR THIS POSITION