Tax season is here!

Need Help With Your Taxes?

VCN is here to help make you aware of services that you can take advantage of to file your 2016 taxes. Keep in mind that most Canadian residents have to file an income tax return for the previous year, to pay the accurate amount of income tax owed, to pay back overpayment of benefits and/ or to claim certain benefits (such as GST credit or the Guaranteed Income Supplement under the Old Age Security Program).If you are an international and non-resident individual, you may also have to file a Canadian income tax return.

See this link for more information:

What You Need

In order to file your tax returns, you’ll need the following information:

  • Social Insurance Number
  • Tax information slips (information slips sent by employers, banks, and businesses to tell you and the Canada Revenue Agency how much income you received and the amount of income tax that was deducted)
  • Information from any other income
  • Receipts for tax deductions
  • Other personal tax information, like your RRSP contribution limit

You’ll also need an income tax package from the Canada Revenue Agency. You can download this online (, or order a print package online (

Another way to get the package is to order it by phone. You can call 1-800-959-8281 from within Canada and the US during business hours to inquire how you can get a package delivered to you.

Volunteer Tax Clinics

Canada operates several tax clinics nationwide. These clinics are run by volunteers during tax season who will help you complete your returns and get all your paperwork ready. A list of all the volunteer tax clinics across Canada can be found here (

Our collaborators at 411 Seniors Centre and the Gordon Neighbourhood House are hosting free volunteer tax clinics for the community – so pay them a visit!

Electronic/Online Tax Submission

To upload your taxes electronically and get your receipts handled directly with the CRA’s online system please refer to this link: Here you can find both paid and free softwares including a link to Studio Tax, a free open-source software that is certified by the CRA.